[Samba] requesting assistance in samba-samba migration

Peter Matulis petermatulis at yahoo.ca
Tue Apr 17 01:57:17 GMT 2007

--- Gary Dale <garydale at torfree.net> wrote:

> The user's profile is usually stored locally. If you log on as the
> same
> user, you should get the same profile. The only time this wouldn't
> happen was if Windows thought you were logging on a new user. It
> would
> do this if your new server didn't have the same user database.

But if the profile is stored locally why would a user get a different
desktop?

> In other words, it's not sufficient to set up a new Samba server. You
>
> also need to migrate the user account information. Since you are
> currently using LDAP, that should be simple. Simply point your new
> Samba
> server to use the same LDAP database that the current Samba server
> uses.
>
> If you want to migrate to a different datastore (not use LDAP), do
> that
> in a separate step. However, most people seem to prefer using LDAP.
> Once
> you've got it working with Samba, why would you want to switch?

I want to get rid of the current server completely and LDAP is running
on it locally.  I also find LDAP ill-suited for this environment.
There are only about 20 users being managed.

What is the separate step you mention?  Can I export the data out of
LDAP?

Thanks for your help.