[Samba] requesting assistance in samba-samba migration

Peter Matulis petermatulis at yahoo.ca
Mon Apr 16 19:47:14 GMT 2007

I have inherited a Samba server and would like to migrate the
installation to a new machine.  We are using Samba as a PDC and my
currrent worry is what users will see on their desktop (as well as
other changes?) once they log on to the new server.

As a test I have logged on with my laptop (running WinXP virtually) and
I get a completely blank desktop (with the exception of the trash can).
 Will users lose anything?  I am unclear on this.

The current/old samba config is posted below.  It is using LDAP but the
new config will not.  Thank you very much.

Peter

[global]
   workgroup = exampledomain
   netbios name = examplehost
   server string = Samba Server %v

   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printer admin = @"Domain Admins"

   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   map to guest = bad user
   security = user

   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   obey pam restrictions = yes

   bind interfaces only = yes
   interfaces = 10.9.2.6

os level = 32
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain logons = yes
logon path =

passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://10.9.2.2 smbpasswd guest
ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=exampledomain,dc=com
ldap suffix = dc=exampledomain,dc=com
ldap machine suffix = ou=Hosts
ldap user suffix = ou=People
ldap group suffix = ou=Group