[Samba] Problems sharing HP Officejet 6210 Linux --> XP

Lutieri G. lutierigbtrabalho at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:14:19 GMT 2007

When sharing a printer via samba you can upload windows' drivers to
samba server.
I spent many time to do this solution.

It's needed upload the driver and create a correct device mode.

Upload driver for a samba server can be make either rpcclient(hard
mode) or using Windows Wizard for add drivers(easy mode).

Please before make any changes on server read from title -> "Creating
the [print$] Share" to -> "Setting Default Print Options for Client
Drivers" here:
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html#id358044

2007/4/10, 1arrybarnett <lb99999999 at aol.com>:

> Problem:
>
> The basic catch-22 with this printer model is that the drivers aren't part
> of the standard XP distro. The XP printer installation wizard expects the
> drivers to be available from the print server. After searching the net, I
> came across this basic installation method:
>
> 1. Temporarily plug the printer into the XP PC and install the drivers from
> the Printer CD. Then plug the printer back into the linux server.

Nooo... please don't do this. worse workaround. :-)

> At this point 2 techniques were suggested, neither of which worked for me:
>
> 2a. Go back to the wizard and install the remote printer, using the correct
> driver this time. This apparantly succeeds, but printint the test page fails
> with an uninformative popup inviting me to go to the troubleshooting wizard
> (which is equally unhelpful).
>
> or
>
> 2b. Hack the local printer configuration by going to properties-->ports and
> creating a Local port with the value \\<servername>\<printername>, as shared
> by Samba. This step fails for me with error 66 "The network resource type is
> not correct".

For me work.. but isn't necessary.

--
Att.