[Samba] Samba 3.0 and XP roaming profiles

Dennis McLeod dmcleod at foranyauto.com
Wed Apr 11 20:46:37 GMT 2007

Here's my logon script (edited... This is just for mapping drives. I have
others that get called from here also.)(XP clients. Domain Members)
The ifmember part is optional. It checks for group membership and only maps
the drives that the user needs, based on his group membership.
I have a mixed environment so far. Migrating from a peer to peer workgroup
to a domain. Machines that are part of the domain run this when a user logs
on.
No roaming profiles for me, though. Public is read only, so everyone gets
that mapped.
Ifmember.exe is part of the W2K (or later) server resource kit. Ifmember.exe
only exists in the netlogon share.

net time \\server /set /yes

:accts
\\server\netlogon\ifmember "domainname\acctsdep"
if not errorlevel 1 goto parts
net use j: \\server\accounts

:parts
\\server\netlogon\ifmember "domainname\partsdept"
if not errorlevel 1 goto service
net use k: \\server\parts

:service
\\server\netlogon\ifmember "domainname\servicedept"
if not errorlevel 1 goto sales
net use s: \\server\service

:sales
\\server\netlogon\ifmember "domainname\salesdept"
if not errorlevel 1 goto hr
net use l: \\server\sales

:hr
\\server\netlogon\ifmember "domainname\hr"
if not errorlevel 1 goto public
net use m: \\server\hr

:public
net use p: \\server\public

It's named logon.bat (you can name it whatever you want.)
It's in /var/lib/samba/netlogon/scripts
My smb.conf says:

[GLOBAL]
logon script = scripts\logon.bat (this has to match what you named the
above.)

[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon      (path=/var/samba/netlogon/%U would have
a subfolder with each user name, and you could build a script for each user)
public = no
writeable = no
browsable = no

Hope this helps.