Conclusion - Re: [Samba] Transfer rates faster than 23MBps?

Mark Smith msmith at customflix.com
Sat Sep 30 00:53:17 GMT 2006

In the interest of closing this loop for the sake of the archives...  :)

My company has officially thrown in the towel on this issue.  Everything
we're seeing is suggesting that 22MBps is about as fast as we're going
to get with SMB.  RedHat, our parent company's IT department (much
bigger than ours), the (read: this) Samba Mailing List, and all my
techie friends, all agree that we're at a limit.

For the parts of our process where higher speed is critical, we'll look
into replacing SMB with a more appropriate protocol (eg: FTP or SCP
hacked to allow a cipher of "none").

I want to thank everyone who tried to help with suggestions of things to
try, areas to look, and what-not.  Every time, I'd see something and say
"Huh.  Haven't tried that!" and got hopeful.  Alas, none of it ended up
helping, but that's not y'all's fault.  :)

Again, thanks everyone for your help.  Cheers.

-Mark