[Samba] Shares Work, Browsing Doesn't

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Sun Oct 22 17:40:35 GMT 2006

I have a small LAN that is mostly Linux.  I use Windows for testing my
software and a few other limited uses.  I recently had a server crash
and could not reconstruct my smb.conf file.  I don't want to act as a
domain controller or have the Windows systems log on to the net.

All I want the Windows systems to do is to see the Samba servers and
browse them to find the Samba shares and to use the Samba shared
printers.

I've worked with a few HOWTO guides and used another Samba server on my
LAN as a guide, but I'm having trouble, and strangely enough, it seems
one server is now behaving differently.  That could be due to my
editing it's conf file without realizing it.

I've pasted in my smb.conf file below.  I do have the domain and local
master parms set, but I don't think I need them.  Again, I don't need a
PDC.  I won't want the Windows systems to log on to the network, I just
want Windows users to see each Samba server and be able to click
through to find the shares and click on the shares to open them.  It's
weird that, since I knew where the shares were, I could access them but
not see the systems they're on.

The Windows computers are running 2000 and XP.

Thanks for any help!

Hal
---------
Conf file:
---------------------
        netbios name = server
        server string = Samba %v on %L
        workgroup = localnet.lan

#        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

        encrypt passwords = true

        ; logging (max log size is in kB)
        log level = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%L
        max log size = 1000
        debug timestamp = yes
        syslog = 1

        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777

        printcap name = cups
        printing = cups

        browseable = yes
        security = share
        guest ok = true

        domain master = Yes
        local master = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        os level = 65

[printers]
        browseable = yes
        printable = yes
        public = yes
        create mode = 0700
        guest ok = true
#       use client driver = yes
#       guest account = smbprint
#       path = /home/smbprint
        path = /var/spool/public

[WinStuff]
        comment = Windows shares and programs just for Windows
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = true
        path = /data/Data/WinStuff/