[Samba] SAMBA - Windows XP Long Filenames

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Tue Oct 10 14:59:17 GMT 2006

On 10/04/2006 05:07 AM, Alex Howe escreveu:
> Hello
>
> I have a Debian Sarge Server <http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/#>
> running samba with two Disks. The first disk has the OS on it with all
> home directories etc. in other words (/).
>
> The second disk has a partition called /work mounted on it used as a
> shared repository for Windows xp <http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/#>
> clients.
>
> The problem I have is when a file with a long filename (65 chrs) is
> copied from an xp machine to /work I get an xp error of "filename too
> long", but when I copy the same file to /home (which is on the other
> disk <http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/#>) it works fine.
>
> I have carried out a few tests i.e creating a directory within /home
> with the same file path length as the offending directory in /work to
> see if I can replicate the problem, and I can't.

	The same WinXP client is able to write the long file name
in any share which path is inside /home?

> The two disks are providing different results.
>
> Has anybody experienced a similar problem? Maybe a special mount option
> needs to be specified within /etc/fstab. I can't seem to find any answers!!!

	That's quite strange.

	Are you using different filesystems?

	Are you using different mount options?

> Any help is appreciated

Also, a not-directly-related information about long filenames:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux-cifs-client/2006-March/001230.html

> Thanks

	Kind regards,

- --