[Samba] SAMBA - Windows XP Long Filenames

Alex Howe alex at adaptive-it.co.uk
Wed Oct 4 08:07:54 GMT 2006

Hello

I have a Debian Sarge Server <http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/#>
running samba with two Disks. The first disk has the OS on it with all
home directories etc. in other words (/).

The second disk has a partition called /work mounted on it used as a
shared repository for Windows xp <http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/#>
clients.

The problem I have is when a file with a long filename (65 chrs) is
copied from an xp machine to /work I get an xp error of "filename too
long", but when I copy the same file to /home (which is on the other
disk <http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/#>) it works fine.

I have carried out a few tests i.e creating a directory within /home
with the same file path length as the offending directory in /work to
see if I can replicate the problem, and I can't.

The two disks are providing different results.

Has anybody experienced a similar problem? Maybe a special mount option
needs to be specified within /etc/fstab. I can't seem to find any answers!!!

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

--
Kind Regards