[Samba] Basic Read ONly share with admin write access?

Michael Schurter michael at susens-schurter.com
Thu Nov 30 16:56:58 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 19:56 +0000, Andy .. wrote:
> ok.. so i've had a samba share set up on our network for a while with
> user-level securty and it was working great, but recently there has been the
> need for a share that is accessible to everyone without the authentication
> (mostly a media server [aka a hacked xbox] that can broawse the smb network
> to read avaiable media) this was very easy to implement, but somehow i lost
> the abilty to write from the other machines in the network..
>
> the goal? to make a data share that can be read/writeable for unix user
> admin can access REGAURDLESS of the machine *he* sits at on the network..
> And then keep the "public" folder accessible to all without the need for a
> username and password..
>
> this made me think that SHARE-level security would be best.. but i'm still a
> N00b

I would highly recommend browsing this:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html#id2557577

People on the list can give you the smb.conf snippets to accomplish
simple tasks, but if you take 10 minutes to learn the basics it'll be
much faster the next time you want to tweak something.

You just want user level security with a public (guest ok) read only
(writable false) share, and a share that requires a valid user and is
writable.

Michael Schurter