[Samba] help needed: connecting with similar windows-unix usernames?

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Wed May 24 11:41:52 GMT 2006

You need to establish your Solaris box as a member server in the W2K3
domain. SWAT has a wizard for that which will create the appropriate
smb.conf. When you do this, the W2K3 domain controller will be used for
authentication.

The accounts and/or groups need to map between the two boxes. Your
Solaris box works using Unix priviliges at the file level. Therefore
your Windows users need to be in appropriate Unix groups to access the
shares. A simple way of handling this is to ensure that "Domain Users"
maps to a local Unix such as "pcgis" (if that is a local group) that has
access to the shares.