[Samba] Samba Print Problem (Everything Looks Right)

Brian White bcwhite at precidia.com
Tue May 23 01:56:40 GMT 2006

>>>Can you try it on an XP box?  It sounds like it should work there -
>>>I've yet to find a solution for Win2k.
>>
>>All my WinXP boxes are behaving the same as the Win2K unit.  I just
>>don't have a "fresh" install of a WinXP box handy at the moment.
>
> That shouldn't make a difference - it works fine for me on XP machines
> that have gone years without a reinstall.
>
> You're able to run \\server\print$ from the client machines?  I suppose
> so, otherwise the files you've seen wouldn't have been copied across.
> All I can suggest is removing/renaming the .tdb files related to
> printing, restarting Samba and then rerunning cupsaddsmb.  I've had a
> few issues with cupsaddsmb, it has to be run *just* right to work.  If
> it asks you for a password more than once, it probably hasn't worked.
> Try adding one printer at a time (if you have more than one) as opposed
> to using the -a option to add all printers at once.

Yes, I can access the share just fine.

As I get in to it, it looks like it's not a samba problem but something
to do with the CUPS driver install.  It's been copied to the WinXP
machine (I can see all the files in the appropriate directories on the
Windows machine) and I can print test pages.  It just won't let me
configure it.

Hmmm...  I think that's the key point right there.  It works, but I
can't _configure_ it!

Now, if I only knew of what that is indicitive.  <thoughtful look>

> Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

It's all helpful!  Successive approximation!

                                           Brian
                                  ( bcwhite at precidia.com )