[Samba] Cannot access WD's NetCenter drive from linux

samba newbie samba_help_needed at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 27 04:46:53 GMT 2006

Adam,

THank you for responding.  Further questions below...

--- Adam Nielsen <adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au> wrote:

> User-level and share-level authentication are only
> terms for
> configuring the server, they both appear the same
> way on the client.

OK, then I need to rephrase my point here: any ideas
why mounting when specifying smbfs works, but
specifying cifs fails with STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD (the
same password is given in both situations)?  I'm only
changing the fs option to mount; all other input is
the same.

When mounting with smbfs, ethereal shows that the
order of traffic is:
* the client sends an smb packet with a negotiate
protocol request
* the server replies with a negotiate protocol
response
* the client sends a Session Setup AndX Request
specifying the incorrect user and incorrect domain but
only '00' as the ANSI password
* the server responds with success and reports the
correct domain
* the client sends a Tree Connect AndX Request
specifying the correct share path and what I presume
is the encrypted version of the actual password
* the server responds with success.

With cifs specified as the filesystem, something
slightly different occurs:
* the client sends an smb packet with a negotiate
protocol request
* the server replies with a negotiate protocol
response
* the client sends a Session Setup AndX Request
specifying the incorrect user and domain and what I
imagine is the actual password in ANSI (I presume this
is encrypted) and in unicode
* the server responds with success and reports the
correct domain
* the client sends a Tree Connect AndX Request
specifying the correct share path but only '00' as the
password
* the server responds with STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.

The fact that, with cifs, the password is not being
sent at the same time as the share specification would
seem to suggest that something incorrect is taking
place in the client software when sending the request.
 This is why I was asking whether I needed to specify
some different options to mount when dealing with
cifs.

> > At this stage, I'm stumped.  I have no access to
> the
> > server logs (since the NetCenter is a black-box
> > appliance).
>
> But you said you could download the source?  You
> could recompile that
> and enable SSH or something, presumably?  They may
> even have some sort
> of SSH or telnet access already built in.

There are no instructions provided.  I have no idea
what the toolchain requirements are, so I don't even
know if I can compile it.  I'll certainly try,
however, if I have the time (not looking forward to
this).

> > Any ideas?  Is there anything else I can do to
> gather
> > more debugging data?  Any mount options I should
> try?
>
> You could try using Ethereal and see what's actually
> going over the
> network when the share locks up, but beyond that it
> could be tricky
> without access to the server.

I'll try this as well.