[Samba] Cross-Subnet Browsing Problem

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.valle at terra.com.br
Sat Jul 15 04:38:34 GMT 2006

Todd.

    I already used samba in network with more than one segment and never
needed any "remote ..." option too, it worked even through a VPN. The
samba books says to use that options when more than one WINS server are
used, for example. Using the same WINS server in both networks, the name
registration is already made in unicast, and it should pass through a
router.
    Have you looked inside wins.dat and browse.dat on the samba server
to see if is everything there? You said that you have already tested
with nblookup (maybe looking there doesnt make sense then), but I think
its easyer to see what your WINS server has to offer, what are the
available resources and if theres any name that shouldnt be registered
there that way.
    nbtstat -r, on the client shows that the names are really beeing
resolved by the name server (WINS)?

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto