[Samba] Fedora packages or Enterprise packages of Samba on RHEL4?

Don Meyer dlmeyer at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 13 19:41:48 GMT 2006

At 01:15 PM 7/13/2006, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

>Don Meyer wrote:
>
> > Were it up to me, I'd post the RPMs for RHEL with
> > a prominent disclaimer on the support issue.   (But
> > then I'd probably want to separate builds
> > for RHEL3/RHEL4...)   Many people aren't aware of
> > the improved ability to build RHEL packages from
> > the tarball, and they only see the complete
> > lack of RHEL binary packages as non-support for RHEL.
> >
> > And I think a CentOS "branch" symlinked to the RHEL branch, or
> > vice-versa, would be a nice recognition of that program...
>
>The reason I mentioned CentOS is that its easier for me to
>keep updated.  And given that the distro claims binary
>compatibility with the matching version of RHEL it should be
>fine.  And that way I avoid the support issue with RHEL.

Sounds good to me.   And a symlink or a short message in a download
directory directing someone looking for redhat/RHEL[3,4] packages to
the equivalent CentOS directory should alleviate the "not supported"
interpretations, as well as the "Which redhat/fedora package should I
try for RHELx?"  questions...

Cheers,
-D

Don Meyer                                           <dlmeyer at uiuc.edu>
Network Manager, ACES Academic Computing Facility
Technical System Manager, ACES TeleNet System
UIUC College of ACES, Information Technology and Communication Services

temporary safety,
         deserve neither liberty or safety."     -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759