[Samba] Fedora packages or Enterprise packages of Samba on RHEL4?

Alex de Vaal a.vaal at nh-hotels.com
Fri Jul 14 09:46:54 GMT 2006

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> If you need support for the SerNet packages, you will have to contact
SerNet.

Ok, clear. Does SerNet have their own SVN source of Samba then? Or are they
using the one of samba.org?
If not, what is the technical difference of enterprisesamba and the
"original" samba then?

> The Fedora specfile provided with Samba is compatible with RHEL4.
> I don't build RHEL4 packages only because IMO if you pay for support for
RedHat,
> installing non-vendor supplied packages would void your support agreement.

Right, I only wanted to know if there are technical issues NOT to use the
Fedora packages on RHEL4.
Somebody in the list already gave a tip that there is a RHEL section in the
packaging directory (tarball of 3.0.23), which contains the "makerpms.sh"
script to create the RPMS for RHEL4.
I'll use this one to create the RPMS for RHEL4, unless you say there is no
difference with the src.rpm of Fedora.
I'll ask Red Hat if I void the support agreement if I only use the Samba
packages of samba.org on my RHEL4 server. I'd like to use the samba packages
from "the source" on my servers, because I have very good experience with
that. I'd like to mention the patch for W2k3 server SP1 that was created
almost instantly by the Samba Team after the release of SP1 and a few other
issues I had, like the DC (LDAP) server failover, were solved by the Samba
Team. I doubt if I get this kind of support for Samba from Red Hat...

> Althought I could provide RPMS for the lates version of CentOS
> which should be binary comatible with RHEL4 systems.

Correct, my Swiss colleague uses CentOS and he uses the Red Hat
enterprisesamba packages of RHEL4 on his servers without problems.

> While I'm at it, is there any pressing need for 64-bit rpms as well?

For me not, but maybe for others out there... ;)

Regards,
Alex.