[Samba] Cannot copy back profile

Jerry Westrick jerry at westrick.com
Tue Jul 11 06:44:00 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 09:08, Sensei wrote:
> Hi! I have a problem with roaming profiles which I don't understand.
>
> I can login and logout from XP with a samba PDC with ldapsam
> flawlessly, but for some reasons when the profile does not
> belong to the user itself windows tells me upon logout that it cannot
> copy back some files to the server. Weird, because the directory
> where the profile resides is readable and writable by the user,
> although it doesn't belong to him.
>
> I have a generic ``smbadmin'' user, belonging to ``Domain Admins''
> which reads and writes the profiles, so all the files in any profile
> in my samba domain (forcing its group) do actually belong to
> ``smbadmin:Domain Users'' and have rwx set to group and user. I'd
> like to keep all these files belonging to the smbadmin user.
>
> Anyway, I cannot make samba work on these files. Is there a way to
> tell samba not to bother about UID/GID of profiles?
>
> Thanks to anyone!
>

> --
> Sensei <senseiwa at mac.com>
>
> The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.
> The pessimist fears it is true.      [J. Robert Oppenheimer]

try these options on your workstations....

; do not roam the following folders

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"ExcludeProfileDirs"="Temporary Internet Files;History;Temp"

; Do not check for user ownership of Roaming Profile Folders
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
"CompatibleRUPSecurity"=dword:00000001

Jerry Westrick