[Samba] OK, one more time on the PDC thing

Sean P. Elble elbles at sessys.com
Fri Jul 7 19:42:54 GMT 2006

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006, Eric Evans wrote:

> My apologies, I'm terribly sorry to belabor these PDC issues to the point
> where everyone is undoubtedly tired of hearing about them, but I have become
> absolutely obsessed with trying to solve this PDC problem.  Here is what is
> happening now.  I'm trying to connect to the Samba server which is set up as
> the PDC (domain PLAB) from windows client "venus".  Windows prompts me to
> enter a username and password.  I enter the username and password for root.
> It comes back and says it can't find a network path to that domain.  Here's
> the message that appears in my samba log file:
>
> [2006/07/07 14:40:18, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(183)
>  process_name_refresh_request: unicast name registration request received
> for name VENUS<20> from IP 128.253.175.150 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
> [2006/07/07 14:40:18, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(184)
>  Error - should be sent to WINS server
>
> Can anybody tell me what this error means?

I do not have your original smb.conf file available, as I am at work and
only have shell access to this e-mail account, but just as a shot in the
dark, are you running WINS on your Samba server? IIRC, a PDC is always
expected to be running WINS, so it looks like it's having problems
registering "venus" in the Windows/Samba domain. So, I would check to see
if you are running that . . . if you aren't, I'd give that a shot, and
I'll try to verify a few more things when I get home for you.

> Thank you very much,
> Eric

|  Sean Elble                                     |
|  Virginia Tech                                  |
|  Computer Engineering, Class of 2008            |
|  Vice President, VTLUUG                         |
|  E-Mail:   elbles at sessys.com                    |