[Samba] OK, one more time on the PDC thing

Eric Evans eje4 at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 7 18:52:25 GMT 2006

My apologies, I'm terribly sorry to belabor these PDC issues to the point
where everyone is undoubtedly tired of hearing about them, but I have
become absolutely obsessed with trying to solve this PDC problem.  Here is
what is happening now.  I'm trying to connect to the Samba server which is
set up as the PDC (domain PLAB) from windows client "venus".  Windows
prompts me to enter a username and password.  I enter the username and
password for root.  It comes back and says it can't find a network path to
that domain.  Here's the message that appears in my samba log file:

[2006/07/07 14:40:18, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(183)
   process_name_refresh_request: unicast name registration request received
for name VENUS<20> from IP 128.253.175.150 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2006/07/07 14:40:18, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(184)
   Error - should be sent to WINS server

Can anybody tell me what this error means?

Thank you very much,
Eric