[Samba] Samba 3.0.14 - very puzzling domain browsing problems

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Fri Jan 20 03:56:52 GMT 2006

Hi again, all:

I followed Adam's advice and investigated the transmission of broadcast
packets to the Samba PDC.

Using a packet injector, tcpdump and Ethereal, I was able to determine
that broadcasts are both going out onto the network and being received
at the PDC, in both UDP and TCP formats.

Again, using this configuration

[global]
domain master = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 65

No workstations are able to browse the network. I should qualify this --
opening Network Neighborhood produces no errors, but no hosts appear in
the window.

We tried configuring the Samba PDC to use WINS, turned off all the
workstations on the network but two, and configured one of the
workstations to point to the WINS server at the Samba PDC's IP address.

Again, an empty Network Neighborhood window.

And yet -- the wins.dat file is populated with hosts, as is the
browse.dat. Still -- nobody can browse.

We're extremely puzzled by this and at a loss how to proceed...

any ideas?

-Stephen-