[Samba] Samba LDAP caching when LDAP server unavailable - possible?

ANTHONY JOSEPH MESSINA amessina at messinet.com
Thu Jan 19 19:44:43 GMT 2006

ok, i'll go with you on this.  so this mini-router, does it have a hard
drive or a place that it could dynamically write data, because it seems
to me that samba will need to write data at will and for sure, ldap with
syncrepl or any caching program will need to write new data that is not
static to someplace.

what are the true capabilities of this router?

the cheapy routers that use firmware woun't be able to dynamically write
this data would they.  any change to data would require a "firmware
upgrade".

also, how would you manage the router remotely?  ssh?  a web interface?
  how would you alter any smb.conf settings?

i agree your router would be a cool thing, but you have very little
admin functionality.  another option may be a refurb cheap computer with
a cheap network card which would do the same thing, but give you total
functionality.  this is what i did for the bds at my parent's house.  i
got a dell outlet refurb for $240, installed fc4 and away we went.

i do still like the idea though of a plug it in and it works system for
stuff like this.

My Website: http://messinet.com
My Online Gallery:
http://messinet.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=visit&lid=3