[Samba] Samba LDAP caching when LDAP server unavailable - possible?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Jan 19 19:26:31 GMT 2006

ANTHONY JOSEPH MESSINA schrieb:
> i guess the real question here is what is your interest?  are you more
> interested in having the login functionality when the network link is
> down or are you more interested in toying with the notion of having
> samba run on a mini box?

Of course, being able to login at all times is one of the most important
factors.

Well, there are many factors; in the end I would like it to be a cheap
and reliable domain controller for small offices:

- cost - this mini router (it even has wireless) + USB stick cost less
than a PC
- it's small and compact
- stability - there is no fan, no hard disk, no moving parts that can break
- ease of (remote) management (when it's set up properly) - in case of
any trouble, someone just turns the device off and on, it'll be up again
in a matter of seconds
- it's fun to do something new :)

--
Tomasz Chmielewski