[Samba] Samba LDAP caching when LDAP server unavailable - possible?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Jan 19 20:02:14 GMT 2006

ANTHONY JOSEPH MESSINA schrieb:
> ok, i'll go with you on this.  so this mini-router, does it have a hard
> drive or a place that it could dynamically write data, because it seems
> to me that samba will need to write data at will and for sure, ldap with
> syncrepl or any caching program will need to write new data that is not
> static to someplace.
>
> what are the true capabilities of this router?

It's ASUS WL-500g Deluxe.

It has a 200 MHz broadcom/mipsel CPU, 4 MB flash, 32 MB ram, 2 USB2
ports, 5 network ports (to use as a switch or 5 separate network cards).

I connected a USB stick to one of the USB ports and the root filesystem
is there (instead of the 4 MB flash).

The router costs about 70 euro / 80 usd.

Capabilities? It's Linux, so it can do everything :)

http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware#head-34991459c386514e56db26b0f51743ce57d27af1

> the cheapy routers that use firmware woun't be able to dynamically write
> this data would they.  any change to data would require a "firmware
> upgrade".

Exactly - I replaced the original firmware with OpenWRT -
http://openwrt.org - a distro for such small routers listed in the link
I gave above.

> also, how would you manage the router remotely?  ssh?  a web interface?
>  how would you alter any smb.conf settings?

It has a basic web interface (for setting network, dns, gateway,
wireless etc.), but yes, mostly with SSH.

> i agree your router would be a cool thing, but you have very little
> admin functionality.

SSH - exactly the same admin functionality as with a PC.

> another option may be a refurb cheap computer with
> a cheap network card which would do the same thing, but give you total
> functionality.

But this means noise, disk, fan etc. - I don't want that.

> this is what i did for the bds at my parent's house.  i
> got a dell outlet refurb for $240, installed fc4 and away we went.

So you paid 2x too much :)

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org