[Samba] Is it possible to build smb directly over ethernet?

simo idra at samba.org
Sat Jan 14 20:29:07 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 12:21 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 01:59:21PM -0500, andy liebman wrote:
> >
> > I also see that there once WAS a Samba patch to support NetBEUI. In
> > fact, Jeremy, you seemed pleased about it and suggested it would be
> > included in Samba 3 as a configuration option "--with-netbeui".
> >
> > >http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2000-July/008748.html
> >
> > Would NetBEUI be a faster "local LAN" alternative if it could be
> > ressurected again.
>
> The problem was that depended on Linux kernel changes that never
> got added (and I don't think would get added). Also it was rather
> ugly and somewhat invasive as I recall. It might be worth revisiting
> at some future point, but currently I don't have the bandwidth to
> add it. If someone wanted to do this it would make an excellent
> "summer of code" style project.

Last time I tried the kernel and samba patches I got a very unstable
barely working system (with oopses here and there). So any effort in
this direction will require quite some work.

I saw another interesting approach from a proprietary vendor, they
implemented all the logic using libpcap and managing the whole netbeui
packet stuff in userspace. that may work as samba runs as root and may
be turned to do the same.

Simo.