Netbeui for Samba & Linux (from Procom)

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Mon Jul 24 17:37:23 GMT 2000

Dimitri Ars wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well well, it took me about 3 mails (and months) after the announcement of
> Procom to get the files for netbeui support, but I finally got them...I
> was wondering if you got them already. I attached the file anyway.
>
> I got things working on Linux 2.0.35 with Samba 2.0.6...I succesfuly
> connected my windows95 machine to Linux over NETBEUI !!! Pretty kewl :-)
> I wonder if the samba team is planning/willing to do with netbeui on
> linux...I do hope so, if ofcourse Alan Cox (or others) wants to include
> the netbeui/802.2llc kernel part someday...
> I couldn't connect from the smbclient to my win95 machine using netbeui
> (like in the example)...things are probably not really stable  sofar, but
> it's really nice to see some parts work !
>
> Let me know if there are plans for samba/netbeui
>
> Best regards,
>
> Dimitri
>
> PS: I already sent this file over a month ago to samba-bugs and to
> tridge at linuxcare.com but never got a sign of life...ah well :-)

I already re-posted it to samba-technical - it's *great* news.

I currently plan to merge this into the mainline Samba
branch sometime in the Samba 2.2.x series. It won't make
2.2.0 as we have enough to do for that, but I have great
hopes for adding this asap. It will of course *definately*
be merged for 3.0. It'll probably be done as a ./configure
option (--with-netbeui).

Thanks *very* much for getting this code out of procom....

I *really* appreciate it !!!

Thanks,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.