[Samba] Is it possible to build smb directly over ethernet?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Jan 14 20:21:28 GMT 2006

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 01:59:21PM -0500, andy liebman wrote:

> I also see that there once WAS a Samba patch to support NetBEUI. In
> fact, Jeremy, you seemed pleased about it and suggested it would be
> included in Samba 3 as a configuration option "--with-netbeui".
>
> >http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2000-July/008748.html
>
> Would NetBEUI be a faster "local LAN" alternative if it could be
> ressurected again.

The problem was that depended on Linux kernel changes that never
got added (and I don't think would get added). Also it was rather
ugly and somewhat invasive as I recall. It might be worth revisiting
at some future point, but currently I don't have the bandwidth to
add it. If someone wanted to do this it would make an excellent
"summer of code" style project.

Jeremy.