[Samba] How to create a linux to linux Samba share?

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 4 18:52:30 GMT 2006

I am trying to mount a share on a linyx server using a mimimal smb.conf
as suggested in the Samba HOWTO.

I do a lot samba to Windows machine but this is the first time I have
tried to access a linux share from linux.

Nmbd and smbd are running on both machines
and both hostnames are listed in the respective /etc/smbshares.

When I try to mount the share I get the message below but nothing amiss
in /var/log/*:

The error response:
Got a positive name query response from 127.0.0.1 ( 192.168.0.4 )
Connecting to 192.168.0.4 at port 445
Anonymous login successful
16443: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

My minimal /etc/samba/smb.conf

[global]
         workgroup = LANET