[Samba] How to create a linux to linux Samba share?

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Sat Feb 4 19:28:18 GMT 2006

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 12:52:30PM -0600, Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I am trying to mount a share on a linyx server using a mimimal smb.conf
> as suggested in the Samba HOWTO.
>
> I do a lot samba to Windows machine but this is the first time I have
> tried to access a linux share from linux.
>
> Nmbd and smbd are running on both machines
> and both hostnames are listed in the respective /etc/smbshares.
>
> When I try to mount the share I get the message below but nothing amiss
> in /var/log/*:
>
> The error response:
> Got a positive name query response from 127.0.0.1 ( 192.168.0.4 )
> Connecting to 192.168.0.4 at port 445
> Anonymous login successful
> 16443: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
> SMB connection failed

A couple things.  If this pc is only meant to be a client, you
need neither smbd nor nmbd to be running.  You did not tell us
what command you are using to mount the share, however, I can see
from the response that you are connecting localhost... That is,
your not connecting to the other computer, but are trying to
mount a share hosted on the same pc.

Annonymous login won't work with the default Samba
security=server.  You'll need to provide a username/password, and
that username will have to exist on the samba server you wish to
connect to.  Since you already have windows to samba working,
(I'm assuming samba is the server is in this case?) this should
already be configured on your server, you just need to mount it.
Start with smbclient to figure out the syntax.

Example:

smbclient //servername/sharename -U username