[Samba] modifying file permissions

mallapadi niranjan niranjan.ashok at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 11:42:46 GMT 2006

Hi Gary

First of all the permissions assigned from windows are actually Access
control lists which are not supported by default

so first enable acl support for the filesystem for which you want to assign
permissions from windows.
ie /etc/fstab file for example for /public file system

LABEL=/public              /public                       ext3    defaults,*
acl *       1 1

and give this command
mount -o remount,rw /public

and in smb.conf in global section add the following entries
nt acl support = yes
inherit acls = Yes
map acl inherit = Yes

Try this