[Samba] modifying file permissions

Robert Mortimer rmortimer at bluechiptechnology.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 15:42:06 GMT 2006

> Hi Gary
>
> First of all the permissions assigned from windows are actually Access
> control lists which are not supported by default

Windows/SAMBA can map ACLs to fine-grain windows permissions but it always
reads the UNIX permissions as well. The UNIX permissions are where it
encodes the windows READ ONLY permission that is unsupported by UNIX. If you
set a file/Directory so that the owner does not have simple UNIX write
permissions this will be cause SAMBA to report the windows read only flag
even if the user does have write permissions assigned under ACLs

more about these mappings can be found here:-

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch05_03.html

SAMBA can also Map system, archive and hidden attributes be messing with the
UNIX file permissions but these are off by default (I think)

Please reply to the list rather than direct to me.
Rob