[Samba] XP Clients kicked off Tiger Server - not consistent

Paul McGrath J.P.McGrath at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Dec 20 12:55:27 GMT 2006

Hi,
  I am running a Panther Server as a domain controller with a Mac Tiger
Server (all latest patches) as the location of home folders and group
shares.  I have one group of users who keep losing connection to the
server (both home and group folders).  The can only reconnect to the
server if they logoff the XP client and login again.  I have loads of
other XP users and Mac clients who do not have this problem.  They are
all using XPSP2.  I've tried loads of server settings and some XP
registry settings but it still happens.  Some of these PCs where ghosted
and I didn't change the SID so I am going to try that next.  Any other
thoughts?

Thanks
Paul

I've edited the smb.conf to just show the relevant share

[global]
	encrypt passwords = yes
	log level = 2
	display charset = UTF-8-MAC
	security = user
	deadtime = 120
	large readwrite = no
	guest account = unknown
	keepalive = 600
	add machine script = /usr/bin/opendirectorypdbconfig -c
create_computer_account -r %u -n "/LDAPv3/127.0.0.1"
	change notify timeout = 90
	client ntlmv2 auth = no
	preferred master = no
	defer sharing violations = no
	allow trusted domains = no
	netbios name = xserve1
	max mux = 200
	lanman auth = YES
	vfs objects = darwin_acls
	wins support = no
	revalidate = yes
	brlm = yes
	mangle case = yes
	max smbd processes = 0
	server string = Mac OS X
	logon drive = H:
	os level = 8
	domain logons = no
	read prediction = true
	admin users = @admin
	passdb backend = opendirectorysam guest
	dos charset = CP437
	unix charset = UTF-8-MAC
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
SO_SNDBUF=8576 SO_RCVBUF=8576
	auth methods = guest opendirectory
	local master = yes
	domain master = no