[Samba] Dir move confirmation

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Wed Aug 30 14:26:31 GMT 2006

On 08/28/2006 06:06 PM, Patryk Wolowicz escreveu:
> Hi everyone,

Hello! :)

> I was wondering whether Samba3 provides any way to enforce a
> displaying of a confirmation dialog before moving a
> subdirectory within a share.

	I have the same problem. The share has a long list of
subdirectories (names of cities) and eventually users mode files
from one city to another one "by accident". :-s

> I administer a few Samba-based file servers in production
> environment (1PDC + 4BDCs + few member servers) - some of
> them store up to 300k files.
> Users tend to lose information by - accidentally - moving some
> files/subdirectories between directories.  Finding the lost
> information inside such a vast shares is a time-consuming
> operation so I'd like to turn on a displaying of a confirmation
> dialog.

	So far, I'm using vfs extd_audit in the shares to allow
tracking of files by the log. I'm playing with different kinds
of solutions:

	* Using something like aide/tripwire
	* Using some hand-made scripts to check this
	* Use sticky bits and ACL policies

> I know it is possible on MS W2k Server. Is it possible
> on Samba3 ?

	If it is, I don't know how. Sorry. :(

	But maybe, if you add here how to do that in MS Windows,
Samba Developers can take a look at the feature, perhaps it could
be quite simple to implement.

> Samba3 (3.0.14/3.0.21c) is mainly installed on Linux Gentoo and Ubuntu
> Dapper.
>
> Regards,
> /pawo

	Kind regards,