[Samba] Problem adding machine or user accounts to a large group in the group file

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Wed Aug 30 14:33:57 GMT 2006

On 08/28/2006 02:30 PM, Mark Naumowicz escreveu:
> Hello,
>
> We are currently experiencing an issue when trying to add members to a group
> on a server running Samba 3.0.20b-3.4-SUSE(SLES9). It appears that we have
> reached the size limit for the specified group in the group file. This group
> is the only one that is large in size within the group file. When we add the
> user to the group in Linux using useradd, it seems to be added, but when we
> check the group file, there is no entry for the most recent addition.
> Further, when we try to add the user with pdbedit to the large group, the
> entry does not appear to be added to the tdbsam backend in Samba. I have ran
> a wc group and it has output the following:
>
> 62        - lines
>
> 62        - characters
>
> 3617    - byte size
>
> The error that is appearing on screen in relation to pdbedit is:
>
> tdb_update_sam: Failing to store a SAM_ACCOUNT for [user] without a primary
> group RID

	This error is related with groupmap stuff (old and wrong
groupmap or no groupmap at all). Take a look at 'net groupmap'
command and also check this threads:

http://www.gatago.com/linux/samba/14513972.html
http://www.debian.org.hk/node/12763

> Further, we have tried to manually remove some unused entries from the large
> group, in order to decrease the size of the group file, but this has not
> produced any positive results. I have also thought about increasing the
> logging level in Samba to get some more detailed feedback from the server.
> Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

	I don't think it is related to the number of users in the
group (but it is a valid concern).

> Thanks for your time,
> Mark
> IT Administrator/Webmaster