[Samba] Problem adding machine or user accounts to a large group in the group file

Mark Naumowicz mnaumowicz at EquitableTrust.com
Mon Aug 28 17:30:46 GMT 2006

Hello,

We are currently experiencing an issue when trying to add members to a group
on a server running Samba 3.0.20b-3.4-SUSE(SLES9). It appears that we have
reached the size limit for the specified group in the group file. This group
is the only one that is large in size within the group file. When we add the
user to the group in Linux using useradd, it seems to be added, but when we
check the group file, there is no entry for the most recent addition.
Further, when we try to add the user with pdbedit to the large group, the
entry does not appear to be added to the tdbsam backend in Samba. I have ran
a wc group and it has output the following:

62        - lines

62        - characters

3617    - byte size

The error that is appearing on screen in relation to pdbedit is:

tdb_update_sam: Failing to store a SAM_ACCOUNT for [user] without a primary
group RID

Further, we have tried to manually remove some unused entries from the large
group, in order to decrease the size of the group file, but this has not
produced any positive results. I have also thought about increasing the
logging level in Samba to get some more detailed feedback from the server.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Mark
IT Administrator/Webmaster
 <mailto:mnaumowicz at equitabletrust.com> mnaumowicz at equitabletrust.com

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be privileged and may contain
confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s).
Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the
message, including any attachments, without making a copy.