[Samba] XP users fail to automatically connect

Frank J. Gomez fgomez at cok.net
Mon Aug 28 17:54:38 GMT 2006

Hello,

I'm running Samba 3.0.14a-6ubuntu1 on Ubuntu for my file server.  All the
other computers are running Windows XP.

As I understand it, by using the same username/pw combo for the Windows
sign-in as for Ubuntu and Samba, users should never have to log in manually.
I found that to be the case for the XP box that I use.

However, some of the other users on my network have to log in every time.
The only thing I can think of that is different is that I changed their
Windows username to match the Samba username (whereas on my PC, the Windows
username was *created* with the name I used for Samba).  Are there steps I
need to take to enable them to access the fileserver without having to sign
in each time?

Thanks,
Frank