[Samba] winbind issue

Karthik R kartthikr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 18:00:53 GMT 2006

i was able to successfully joined the linux machine ie. RHEL 3 to windows
2003 domain and able to pull the AD users and groups using

wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g command.

Am trying to authenticate the AD user using radtest, a command tool used in
freeradius to authenticate the user logon credentials. It rejects AD
user logon credentials.

I have linux nis server running under same subnet. This machine is binded to
this linux NIS domain and joined to windows 2003 domain. Here is my
nsswitch.conf file.

passwd:     files winbind nis dns
shadow:     files nis dns
group:      files winbind nis  dns

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files dns winbind nis

Also i tried removing it from linux nis domain and running only with winbind
service, it didnt help me.

Here is the log file i found about winbind service.

winbindd[16208]: [2006/08/28 10:57:31, 0]
nsswitch/winbindd_util.c:winbindd_param_init(560)
winbindd[16208]:   winbindd: idmap uid range missing or invalid
winbindd[16208]: [2006/08/28 10:57:31, 0]
nsswitch/winbindd_util.c:winbindd_param_init(561)
winbindd[16208]:   winbindd: cannot continue, exiting.
winbind: winbindd startup succeeded

I have another linux machine running good with the same error message.

could someone throw some light to resolve my issue.