[Samba] file locked by wrong user

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Wed Aug 23 17:14:29 GMT 2006

I'm having a weird problem which I think may be a bug, but I'm
not sure, so I think I'll describe it and see if it rings a
bell with anyone.

Basically, the story is this:  there's a file owned by a Unix
user "lshaw" (i.e. me) and whose group ownership is "engineer".
Now, I open this file on one Windows XP computer, then go try
and open it again on another XP machine.

On the second computer, I get the usual "This file is locked
by _______, do you want to open a read-only copy?" message.
But the problem is the _______ is "engineer" rather than
"lshaw".  In other words, it is showing the group instead of
the username.

I've noticed this with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files.
(Those were the 3 file types that I could think of off the top
of my head whose apps like to lock files.)  As far as I can
tell, this happens for all users, i.e. no matter who opens a
file, and no matter who looks at it, it appears to locked by
the group instead of the user.

I'm running Samba 3.0.23b.  I think I may have seen this on
3.0.20, but I can't recall for sure.

Also, for what it's worth, if I, in Windows XP, navigate to
a file that experiences this problem and hit Properties and
then do the Security tab, I see the group listed as the first
item under "Group or user names:".  It looks like this:

 	engineer (DOMAIN\engineer)
 	Everyone
 	Logan Shaw (DOMAIN\lshaw)

This isn't a show-stopper bug, but it is a little inconvenient
when something is locked to not have a way to know who has
locked it.

If it matters, the correct numeric uid (that corresponds to lshaw)
shows up in the second column of the "smbstatus -L" output.

   - Logan