[Samba] Non-root accounts cannot join the Samba PDC:s domain

BJörn Lindqvist bjourne at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 14:30:42 GMT 2006

I have a Samba PDC with LDAP as its back end. It works perfectly
except for one major detail: Non-root users cannot join the Samba PDC.
I change the domain on Windows XP clients like this:

1. Log in as administrator on an Windows XP client
2. Change domain with Control Panel -> System -> Computer name ->
"Change..." and in the Domain field, I enter the name of the Samba
Domain "foo.comany.com"

Then, when I press OK, a dialog pops up that asks for a user name +
password for a user that can join the new domain. If I enter the root
account for the Samba PDC, the Windows client can join the Samba PDC
no problems. However, only the root account seem to have permissions
to join the Samba PDC.

Since I need to migrate *lots* of clients to the Samba PDC, I need to
setup a method so that each user can change to the new domain on its
computer. And giving out the root password of course is not an option.
I think there is a setting in one of Samba's config files that makes
it so non-root users can join the domain, right?

--
mvh Björn