[Samba] Non-root accounts cannot join the Samba PDC:s domain

Wolfgang Ratzka ratzka at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Mon Aug 21 15:44:35 GMT 2006

> Since I need to migrate *lots* of clients to the Samba PDC, I need to
> setup a method so that each user can change to the new domain on its
> computer. And giving out the root password of course is not an option.
> I think there is a setting in one of Samba's config files that makes
> it so non-root users can join the domain, right?

If your Samba version is pretty recent (privilege support was started
in 3.0.11 and has been improved since then) you can assign the
SeMachineAccountPrivilege to arbitrary accounts.
You can set this either from Windows in User Manager
(Menu Policies->User Rights)
or from the comman line on your samba server:
   net rpc rights grant some_account_name SeMachineAccountPrivilege

Regards,
Wolfgang Ratzka
--
Wolfgang Ratzka  Phone: +49 6421 2823531  FAX: +49 6421 2826994
Uni Marburg,  HRZ, Hans-Meerwein-Str., D-35032 Marburg, Germany