[Samba] Problem with group access to shares

ergatz ergatz at comcast.net
Sat Aug 19 13:15:12 GMT 2006

I have a Solaris 8 samba 3.0 server.  For over a year I have been running a share which has group USERS, so everyone in USERS group can map the share.  Under this share there are several subdirectories that all have their own unique group for access.

Example:

    Share is called [PROJECTS]

    UNIX dir structure

        PROJECTS    owned by root   grouped by USERS
            ENGINEERING   owned by root   grouped by ENGR
            SOFTWARE       owned by root   grouped by SW
            MANAGEMENT  owned by root   grouped by MGT
            PROGRAMMING owned by root   grouped by PROG

For over a year users have been able to map the PROJECTS share, then access the subdirectories based on their group membership in NIS groups.  Last week it just stopped working.  I didn't change version ov samba.  The only change I made was to add a new user in smb.conf file.  I reverted back to smb.conf BEFORE the problem, but it didn't work either.

Any ideas?