[Samba] Setup Windows XP to print to CUPS printer on FC5

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Aug 10 01:59:04 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 19:03 -0400, Jack Gates wrote:
> I am quite sure this question has been asked before but I can't find
> anything in the archive and Google does not turn up anything useful.
>
> I have Fedora Core 5 with an HP LaserJet 5L printer connected to the
> LPT port.  I also have the CUPS printer queue shared.
>
> I am trying to setup up a Windows XP laptop with wlan on my home
> network to be able to print to that printer.
>
> I have little understanding of how to make samba work.  I have found a
> lot of information but most of it does not help me or make sense to
> me.
>
> I only want the win xp box to have access to the printer and nothing
> else.
>
> Do I have to setup a user account between FC5 and XP to make this
> work?
>
> I no basically nothing about XP.  I don't know if I have FC5
> configured to allow XP to see the printer.
>
> I have spent 9 hours trying to figure out how to setup two different
> OS and samba and one printer to work on both OS.  I have made no
> progress in completing my objective.  I don't know which way is up
> right now.  Can some one help me?
----
http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html

The above link was already given to you on the Fedora list several hours
ago and that seemed to be as concise instructions as possible.

If you want to use samba to share the printer, then you really need to
see the 'Official How-To'
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs (see the howto link on the left)

but recognize that using samba to share a printer requires a working
samba configuration compatible with your Windows XP setup and that is
likely more reading, more work than the link that was suggested to you
earlier on the fedora-list

Craig