[Samba] Help: smbd & nmbd normal states

LouArnold LouArnoldOttawa at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 10 00:38:36 GMT 2006

I have just installed Fedora Core 5 with the Samba server. However only the
nmbd daemon is running. I thought both smbd and nmbd should be running.
On trying to start smbd with:
>/sbin/service smb start
the result is "starting smbd [FAILED]"
Stopping smbd of course has no effect, and starting or restarting nmbd works
just fine.

I'm stumped! I turned SELinux and the firewall off. I stopped sendmail. I
configured a share, and set up a user for it. I can't think of what else
might be a problem. This worked before on a previous life of the system
under FC4.