[Samba] disabling roaming profiles for some networks only

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Tue Aug 8 14:51:05 GMT 2006

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, simo wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 17:23 -0500, Logan Shaw wrote:
>> I'm looking for a way to turn off roaming profiles only
>> for those users which are at the remote site.

> Set the logon home and logon path explicitly in the passdb backend for
> the users who need it and leave the general ones blank.
> You must use either the tdbsam or ldapsam backlends to do that.

That's an idea, but I'd really rather have it keyed off what
network they're logging in from.  It's not uncommon for users
from one office to travel to the other.  Then, they get there
and have only (say) 2 days to get whatever done while they're
traveling, and they spend the first 2 hours of their limited
time waiting for their machine to finish logging them.  It's a
bit of a nuisance.  :-)

In particular, there could even be cases where someone uses
the same user account and same machine at the local office
and at the one 1000 miles away.  This can happen when a user
takes their laptop with them.

And yeah, I can educate my users about this, but that doesn't
completely stop it from happening, because it's not the type of
thing people understand well or realize they need to remember
when they're traveling.

All in all, I guess this is more of a weakness of the design
of Windows networking than anything else.  Still, if there is
a Samba solution to the problem, I'd welcome it...

   - Logan