[Samba] Re: Lost All Win95 connections to Samba

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Fri Aug 4 18:38:17 GMT 2006

Douglas D Germann Sr wrote:
> <<Nanni X <nannix <at> nodalis.it> writes:
>

>> Hi Douglas,
>> what do you think about a switch (or hub, of course) failure?
>> Did you test the low level connection? Perhaps you can start with a ping
>> from w95 to any other station and vice versa.
>>
>> Let me know
>>
>> NanniX
>>

> Nanni--
>
> Thanks, Nanni!
>
> Switch or hub failure. That is interesting. I am having trouble connecting (from
>  any station) to pop.compuserve.com to collect my POP3 e-mail, and have been
> trouble shooting that for a couple of weeks. The problem there is that I can
> connect to compuserve and get my e-mail just fine if I remove the *router*
> (Linksys WRT54G), but not with the router in place.
>
> But if we can ping from any station to any station (which we can), that goes
> through the switch I have, right? (A Linksys EZXS16W) And all stations (except
> that one) are able to browse the Web.
>
> Sorry, I don't know what a "low level connection" is. I'll try it if you tell me
>  what it is. <grin>
>
> Thanks, Nanni!
>
> :- Doug.

I'm wondering at this point about the difference in the handling of
DNS/WINS between Win95 and WinXP. Normally, XP is the fussier of the
two, but ...

With a separate switch and router, and a router normally providing DNS
services, perhaps you are having a problem in that area. You can ping
google, presumably from the name and not the ip address, so your DNS is
likely working.

It appears your switch is working. You can ping between stations OK.

You may need WINS services running to get Win95 to connect to Samba
properly. That's what I'd concentrate on.