[Samba] domain controller cannot be contacted

Veronica Hill veronica.hill at optusnet.com.au
Tue Apr 11 12:19:14 GMT 2006

On 11 Apr 2006, at 21:35, Mark Rutherford wrote:

> You know, the strangest thing happened here.....
> One thing I neglected to mention and I bet it was vital information,
> is that w have 2 samba machines on the network.
> we have one as a spare in case the main server dies.
> It is sync'd with the main server every 5 minutes with rsync.
>
> I had to turn that backup machine off to do some hardware maintenance,
> ad it stayed off over the weekend.
> This issue disappeared while that machine was turned off.
> As soon as I turned this machine on again, the issues started all over
> again.
> It was the same 'cannot contact the domain controller' hiccup.
>
> I shut down the samba daemons and the problem went away.
> It would seem to me that something, someplace is misconfigured.
>
> This is what is on the main:
>
> domain logons = Yes
> os level = 65
> lm announce = Yes
> preferred master = Yes
> domain master = Yes
> wins support = Yes
>
> And, this is what is on the backup:
>
> domain logons = Yes
> os level = 35
> lm announce = Yes

> preferred master = Yes

man smb.conf:
Use this option with caution, because if there are several hosts (wheth
er Samba servers, Windows 95 or NT) that are preferred master browsers
on the same su
bnet, they will each periodically and continuously attempt to become
the local master
  browser. This will result in unnecessary broadcast traffic and reduced
browsing capa
bilities.

> local master = No
> domain master = Yes

Note  that  Windows  NT  Primary Domain Controllers expect to be
               able to claim this workgroup specific special NetBIOS
name  that
               identifies  them as domain master browsers for that
workgroup by
               default (i.e. there is no way to prevent a Windows NT
PDC  from
               attempting to do this). This means that if this parameter
is set
               and nmbd claims the special name for a workgroup before
a  Win-
               dows  NT  PDC  is  able to do so then cross subnet
browsing will
               behave strangely and may fail.

So have you tried this?:

domain logons = Yes