[Samba] domain controller cannot be contacted

Mark Rutherford mark at maunzelectronics.com
Tue Apr 11 11:35:25 GMT 2006

You know, the strangest thing happened here.....
One thing I neglected to mention and I bet it was vital information, is
that w have 2 samba machines on the network.
we have one as a spare in case the main server dies.
It is sync'd with the main server every 5 minutes with rsync.

I had to turn that backup machine off to do some hardware maintenance,
ad it stayed off over the weekend.
This issue disappeared while that machine was turned off.
As soon as I turned this machine on again, the issues started all over
again.
It was the same 'cannot contact the domain controller' hiccup.

I shut down the samba daemons and the problem went away.
It would seem to me that something, someplace is misconfigured.

This is what is on the main:

domain logons = Yes
os level = 65
lm announce = Yes
preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
wins support = Yes

And, this is what is on the backup:

domain logons = Yes
os level = 35
lm announce = Yes
preferred master = Yes
local master = No
domain master = Yes
wins server = 192.168.0.201

Wins server on the backup is pointing at the main server, not sure that
this is completely right either.
My gut tells me it is one of these settings on one of the servers.

So, does anyone have any idea on how I can get the two machines to coexist?
I have no idea why the clients cannot log in randomly and intermittently
when both are running.