[Samba] Not able to join domain

Chris Boyd Chris.Boyd at usit.ie
Thu Apr 6 14:18:10 GMT 2006

I ran the groupmap script

#!/bin/bash

net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=ntadmin
net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Users" unixgroup=users
net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Guests" unixgroup=nobody

 and was able to create the root account in pdbedit.
I've gotten the XP machine to join the UCD domain now. Although I'm still not clear what the groupmapping did.

Chris Boyd
Systems Engineer
USIT
19-21 Aston Quay
Dublin 2
Ireland

Tel: +353 1 6021670
Fax: +353 1 6771602
www.usit.ie
>>> Bruno Guerreiro <bruno.guerreiro at ine.pt> 04/06/06 3:08 PM >>>
 Hi,

That syntax would be right if you were trying to join a domain called "PDC"
Showing as PDC is only dependent of the smb.conf file.

> I'm still unable to create a root account in pdbedit after
> changing security to user (and restarting nmb/smb). I still
> get the error in the logs about root not existing.

Have you tried changing root's samba password, with smbpasswd?

If you issue: pdbedit -Lv, do you get any entry for root/administrator or
something?

Best regards,
Bruno Guerreiro

copyrighted.  If you are not the intended recipient please
prohibited. USIT has scanned this email for viruses and
dangerous content and believes it to be clean. However,
virus scanning is ultimately the responsibility of the recipient.