[Samba] XFS and inherit permissions bug?

Blaž Primc expertmeant at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 12:20:15 GMT 2006

Hello everyone!

Using Samba (Version 3.0.22-SerNet-Debian) on Debian stable and I
noticed that parameter "inherit permissions" for share defined like this:

[data]
       path=/data
       browseable = yes
       writable = yes
       guest ok = no
       force create mode = 2660
       inherit acls = yes
       inherit permissions = yes
       wide links = no

works okay, if the /data filesystem is Reiser3, but not with XFS.

By okay I mean the paragraph mentioned in the manpage:

       inherit permissions (S)

              New  directories  inherit  the  mode  of  the  parent
directory,
              including bits such as setgid.

With XFS the setgid bit is not inherited by newly created directories
through Samba - eg. you connect to this share with Windows client and
create new directory. If I create a new directory in shell, directory
mode is inherited properly.

Best regards, Blaz.

P.S.: Should I need to provide more information please say so...

Global section of smb.conf:
---------------------------
   workgroup = domain
   netbios name = domain_fs