[Samba] Strange message from Samba

Mike Mercier mmercier at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 13:01:38 GMT 2006

Hello,

I am running RHEL 3.0 Update 7 with Samba (smbd -V -> Version 3.0.9-1.3E7).

I receive the following message in the syslog logfile:

smbd[pid] host (x.x.x.x) couldn't find service myshare

My smb.conf looks like (the system has been joined to the windows domain):

[global]
workgroup = MYDOMAIN
log file = /var/log/samba/client.log
netbios name = MYSERVERNAME
security = DOMAIN
printcap name = cups
disable spoolss = yes
show add printer wizard = no
idmap uid = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000
winbind use default domain = yes
use sendfile = yes
printing = cups

[myshare1]
comment = myshare1
path = /home/myshare1
valid users = MYDOMAIN\MYUSER
read only = no

MYDOMAIN\MYUSER is able to connect to the share named myshare1 and seems to
be able to perform all functions (I have never run into any issues).  But,
the message above seems to show up everytime the user tries to make a new
connection to myshare1.

I have also seen the same message on RHEL 2.1 running a 2.x version of
samba.
Anyone know the reason for this message?  In both cases, it is a windows
2000 server attempting to make the connection.

Thanks,
Mike