[Samba] smb-ldap or not to smb-ldap

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Apr 3 17:43:07 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 16:30 +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are deploying a Linux server and desktops for a customer.  We will
> have the users and groups in LDAP on the server, and files shared via NFS.
>
> However, one never knows if Windows desktops will be needed in the
> future.  Is it a good idea to add users with smb-ldap even if samba is
> not initially used, as adding the samba attributes to an existing LDAP
> database is painful, and the smb-ldap created users will have the
> relevant POSIX credentials to be able to login anyway?

Do use LDAP, having something that does the stuff is awesome.

Recently The Linux Journal had a series that goes into your kind of
questions and gives so very good overall answers. While I disagree with
some of the implementation, Ti Leggett has done some very good work to
bring things together. He brings in quite a bit of the planning and
why-fors etc to the article. This is good, as many many people ignore
most of these things while trying to get things working, creating a
serious mess that is very discouraging. You could nearly go line for
line on his configs.

Ti Leggett also refers to some previous articles at the LJ, also you
should be at least able to skim these referenced articles and completely
understand them. If you can't or don't understand the reference
articles, you need to sit down and work them out before proceeding here.

Single Sign-On and the Corporate Directory, Part 1
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8374

Single Sign-On and the Corporate Directory, Part 2
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8375

Single Sign-On and the Corporate Directory, Part 3
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8376

Single Sign-On and the Corporate Directory, Part 4
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8377

A follow on from Single Sign-On and the Corporate Directory (Part 1-4),
in my opinion goes very well with the previous series and may have well
been intended.
Using Wikis and Blogs to Ease Administration
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8779

The last one goes into making sure you cover you assets and
documentation is a wonderful thing.

Using these articles as a reference for steering your decisions is a
good idea. You may disagree with Ti on some things or particular items
that you won't/can't/forbidden to use, but then again consider the whole
picture he gives us.

Good luck and hope to hear good news.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.