[Samba] No UID associated with this user name

Anna Barnes ab2540 at columbia.edu
Mon Apr 3 18:42:17 GMT 2006

Hi sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I'm not sure where to
go to and I'm a bit desperate.

We just brought our Sunfire 6800 server and Storedge 9960 RAID array
Solaris 8 back up after some maintenance and everything came back up
'clean' but I cannot get our SAMBA software to recognise any users or
directories when logging in remotely from an apple or windows box.

Here's what I've tried already.

If I try and mount one of the direcotries on our apple boxes I get an
error message saying SAMBA alias could not be opened becasue the
original item could not be found.

If I try and modify a users password on the unix server I get
./smbpasswd abarnes
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as
"uid=admin,ou=Administrators,ou=TopologyManagement,o=NetscapeRoot"
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as
"uid=admin,ou=Administrators,ou=TopologyManagement,o=NetscapeRoot"
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as
"uid=admin,ou=Administrators,ou=TopologyManagement,o=NetscapeRoot"
No user to modify!
Password changed for user abarnes.
Failed to modify entry for user abarnes.
Failed to modify password entry for user abarnes

And if I try to verify a user password with ./smbclient -U abarnes -L
localhost I get
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

after I enter the password.

Here also is the smb.conf file

[global]
# ldap
ldap server = baseline.fmri.columbia.edu
ldap port = 389
ldap suffix = ou=People,dc=fmri,dc=columbia,dc=edu
ldap admin dn =
uid=admin,ou=Administrators,ou=TopologyManagement,o=NetscapeRoot
ldap ssl = no

# logging
log level = 2
log file = /var/samba/log/log.%m
max log size = 500

# domain
workgroup = fmrildap
preferred master = no
domain master = no
domain logons = no
netbios name = samba
server string = fmri samba server
os level = 255
#socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192

# authentication
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes

wins support = yes
locking = yes
dns proxy = no

[netlogon]
comment = network logon service
path = /etc/fmri/samba/netlogon
guest ok = yes
share modes = no

[homes]
path = /home/%u
comment = home directories
read only = no
create mode = 0750
directory mode = 0750
case sensitive = no
follow symlinks = no

[share]
comment = shared directories
path = /share
read only = no
createmode = 0775
directory mode = 0775
case sensitive = no
follow symlinks = no

[data]
comment = data directories
path = /data
read only = no
create mode = 0775
directory mode = 0775
case sensitive = no
follow symlinks = yes

[data_export]
comment = data directories
path = /export/data
read only = no
create mode = 0775
directory mode = 0775
case sensitive = no
follow symlinks = yes

this is the entry in the log.samba file

[2006/04/03 14:03:24, 0] passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldap_connect_system(316)
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as
"uid=admin,ou=Administrators,ou=TopologyManagement,o=Nets
capeRoot"
[2006/04/03 14:03:24, 2] passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldap_connect_system(331)
ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
[2006/04/03 14:03:24, 2] passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldap_search_one_user(343)
ldap_search_one_user: searching for:[(&(uid=abarnes)
(objectclass=sambaAccount))]

Anna Barnes (PhD)
fMRI Research Laboratory
Department of Radiology
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
710 W168th St
New York, NY10032
USA
+1212 342 0293